Happy New Year to everyone involved with Evenbreak – inclusive employers, talented disabled candidates, partners and all other stakeholders. This is a time for reflecting on the past year and looking forward to the new year.
2014 was a very exciting year for Evenbreak. Here are just some of the highlights:
- At the beginning of the year the Evenbreak team expanded to include Tirath (fantastic Admin Assistant) and Jane (brilliant Publicity Manager). They joined Lewis (amazing Data Entry Clerk) and I to form a dynamic team, determined to make the world of work a more inclusive place.
- In March we held our first national conference in London – Employing Disabled People: The Bottom Line – which was a huge success, with some fantastic speakers and an engaged and diverse audience.
- Shortly after that we were thrilled to announce that Francesca Martinez had agreed to be our Patron – a comedian who lives and breathes the ethos of Evenbreak.
- Throughout the year we were lucky enough to win, or be finalists, in a number of prestigious awards, including:
- Winner of “Newcomer of the Year” in the OnRec awards
- Runner-up in the RIDI (Recruitment Industry Disability Initiative) awards
- Regional Finalist in the FSB/Worldpay Awards
- Finalist in “Social Enterprise of the Year” National Business Awards
- Second in “Social Entrepreneur of the Year” Lloyds Bank/SSE awards
- In conjunction with Inclusive Films we were involved with producing a film demonstrating the business case of employing disabled people.
- Evenbreak was recognised as a Living Wage employer and as a Social Firm.
- Most importantly, we doubled the number of employers advertising their vacancies on Evenbreak, and more than trebled the number of registered candidates. This means that more inclusive employers are able to access this amazing pool of talent, and that more disabled candidates are given a chance to be recognised and rewarded for their talents.
Sadly, 2014 wasn’t a great year for disabled people generally, with more and more barriers being placed in our way (closure of the Independent Living Fund, replacement of Disability Living Allowance with Personal Independent Payments, the dreaded “Bedroom tax” impacting disproportionately on disabled people, the benefits cap and the continuing -and inaccurate – portrayal of disabled people as workshy benefit cheats by some politicians and in the media. Work Capability Assessments are still completely unfit for purpose, and delays over benefit payments and the massive increase in sanctions have put many more disabled people, working or otherwise, into poverty and homelessness). So the work that Evenbreak does is more important than ever in challenging those negative stereotypes and enabling disabled people who can and want to work to find roles with employers who will value their skills.
Looking forward to 2015, we intend to build on our achievements and work harder than ever to help inclusive employers access talented disabled people, and disabled people find work where their talents will be valued and rewarded. And we will continue to promote the business benefits of employing disabled people. These are just some of our plans:
- A new member joins our team today – Alison – who will be our Employer Engagement Consultant. Alison will work with employers to promote the benefits of employing disabled people, and encourage them to use Evenbreak to attract the talent they need.
- We will put on more events to encourage employers to look at this largely untapped pool of talent, and learn how to be genuinely inclusive employers – watch this space!
- We will attract more and more employers so that our candidates have a wider choice of roles to apply for.
- We will form partnerships with organisations with similar aims (such as this one formed last year).
- We will work tirelessly to attract and empower more disabled candidates.
- We will find new and creative ways of promoting the business benefits of employing disabled people.
- We will ensure we remain the most accessible job board in the UK (again – watch this space!).
Again, the team at Evenbreak would like to wish all of you a very happy, prosperous and inclusive New Year!
To advertise jobs on Evenbreak go here – http://www.evenbreak.co.uk/employers/
To find jobs on Evenbreak go here – http://www.evenbreak.co.uk/jobs/
To make a donation to Evenbreak go here – https://localgiving.com/charity/evenbreak