Another example of the wonderful talent to be found on Evenbreak!
Introducing Matt S …
To find out more about Matt, we asked him a few questions…
What would be your dream role?
I’d like to be working in leadership development coaching or diversity and inclusion – my interest is very much about supporting and helping people grow. Leadership is about inspiring people, empowering them – as a leader, if you want to achieve, you need people to come on that journey with you.
What do people you’ve worked with or volunteered with say about you?
One of the things that was said to me by my former head of department was ‘you’ve positively disrupted the way the team thinks and brought new ideas to the table’. Another thing I’ve been commented on is my really strong listening and communication skills.
What are you particularly proud of?
I would have to say being part of an award-winning leadership team for a start-up, while at college, where we had to run a small business for a year as part of the course. We were entered into the Young Enterprise programme, and won an award for True Grit and Determination.
It was great to achieve something in such a short time like that, but it was more about the experience than the award, which was a bonus. I really valued the experience of coming to understand how a start-up works, how you start the business, how you run it, how you work as a team and how you make decisions as leaders. I enjoyed the role I ended up taking as the internal business coach – the rest of the team would come to me for guidance and advice, and I was trusted to give that to them, whether on a personal or professional level.
Can you tell us something people wouldn’t guess about you?
At one time I was part of the first disabled diving school in the UK – that was in North Wales. What I appreciated was learning to trust the people you’re diving with, to act as your eyes in the water. I think it’s a fairly levelling activity, because you’ve got to trust the people you’re diving with, but they’ve got to trust you as well. You need to make sure you know how to look after yourself in the water – so if anything goes wrong, you can look after them too.
What’s your disability?
Recent Professional Experience
Freelance Learning Research Assistant Nov 2020 – April 2021
Challenging Frontiers Ltd.
- Conducted a research report to analyse current coaching literature to better inform on the rigour, in the design thinking and development of learning strategies
- Creation of a 5000-word white paper, “Literature analysis of the impact coaching can have on learning interventions”
- Produced 5 key recommendations based on academic and organisational findings for applications to learning strategies
Accessibility Consultant Dec 2020 – Dec 2020
Legacy International Group
- Carried out accessibility user testing for Companies House, by auditing the web site and documentation for business directors.
- Consulted to ensure that the website was accessibility friendly, integrating recommendations and analysis to ensure Companies House was conforming to web content accessible guidelines [WCAG].
Apprentice in Organisational Development and Learning Nov 2017 – Aug 2019
Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)
- Developed, provided insight on, and supported managers and employees on the learning strategy for 1500 staff.
- Directed the coordination of core professional training services, using different communication means, such as social media, learning systems and Microsoft Office, providing customer service for 1500 employees.
- Researched learning best practice and evaluating user experiences for strategic solutions, that supported the DWP’s thematic program in 2019.
- Collaborated with leadership to initiate a change management program, which involved deployment of an appraisal system, this supported the achievement of Disability Confident Leader accreditation in 2019.
- Designed, delivered and presented tailored training to 100 corporate clients at Google, Department for Transport and The Financial Times, educating on disability, receiving a 90% customer satisfaction rate.
Education and Professional Qualifications
London Metropolitan University Sept 2006 – June 2009
BA in Business Psychology and Management 2:1
Advanced level 5 Certificate in Facilitation Skills Nov 2020 – Nov 2021 [expected)
College of Westminster April 2018 – July 2019
Diploma in Business Administration
To find out more about Matt, email email@example.com
To attract talented candidates, visit www.evenbreak.co.uk